Delicata Squash & Tofu Curry
This easy tofu curry, made with pretty delicata squash and hearty greens, cooks up in one skillet. To speed up the prep, use bagged chopped kale. Delicata squash’s thin skin is tender when it’s cooked, so there’s no need to peel—another time saver. Serve with quinoa or brown rice.
- 2 tablespoons curry powder, preferably Madras
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 14-ounce package extra-firm or firm water-packed tofu
- 4 teaspoons canola oil, divided
- 1 large delicata squash (about 1 pound), halved, seeded and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 medium onion, halved and sliced
- 2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger
- 1 14-ounce can “lite” coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon light brown sugar
- 8 cups coarsely chopped kale or chard, tough stems removed
- 1 tablespoon lime juice, plus more to taste
- Combine curry powder, salt and pepper in a small bowl. Blot tofu dry with a paper towel and cut into 1-inch cubes; toss the tofu in a medium bowl with 1 teaspoon of the spice mixture.
- Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the tofu and cook, stirring every 2 minutes, until browned, 6 to 8 minutes total. Transfer to a plate.
- Heat the remaining 2 teaspoons oil over medium-high heat. Add squash, onion, ginger and the remaining spice mixture; cook, stirring, until the vegetables are lightly browned, 4 to 5 minutes. Add coconut milk and brown sugar; bring to a boil. Add half the kale (or chard) and cook, stirring, until slightly wilted, about 1 minute. Stir in the rest of the greens and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Return the tofu to the pan, cover and cook, stirring once or twice, until the squash and greens are tender, 3 to 5 minutes more. Remove from the heat and stir in lime juice.
Per serving: 316 calories; 18 g fat ( 6 g sat , 7 g mono ); 0 mg cholesterol; 29 g carbohydrates; 1 g added sugars; 16 g protein; 8 g fiber; 363 mg sodium; 824 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (599% daily value), Vitamin C (127% dv), Calcium (34% dv), Magnesium (30% dv), Iron (26% dv), Potassium (24% dv), Folate (16% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 starch, 2 vegetable, 1 medium-fat meat, 2 fat